Sunday 28 December 2014

Shelf Moor Fell Race 14

Shelf Moor Fell Race 07/09/14

This is the second time I ve done this race, the first time I did it with Gareth Briggs. This year he decided to do another race, so I arrived with the Craig and Martin.

After registration in the old scout hut and a half mile warm up to the start we were on the start line. I saw Roger Taylor and his friend who was doing her first fell race. I can't think of a better fell race to do as your first. Good choice Roger. Roger is a good friend and he runs for Mercia and lives in Stone.  Mark Platt who also runs for Staffordshire Moorlands also made his way up to the race. Hes nice bloke and has been running for a while.





After the usual race destructions we were under way. I decided not to go off to quick this time, as knew how hard the first climb is from the previous year. However I found myself in second. I didn't plan this, and I didn't think the start was as fast as the previous year.  I managed to hold onto second for more than 400 metres which again is unusual. And this changed my race plan. I decided to slow down on the first climb, and let a few past me, and for the fact I didn't feel that great.  We climbed and climbed up past the aircraft wreckage to the first checkpoint (James's Thorn?). At this point I felt tired and not that fresh.  I feared the worst but pushed on. Craig went flying past, I chased for a while only to lose his super quick steps.  My head lost itself again and I lost some more places. The peat was taking my energy and I could keep my pace.  Once I reached the highest point of the race at Lower shelf Stones the long descent was upon me, and that was were I lost sight on craig. I pushed on through the peat and the bogs crossed the stream at Dowstone Clough and tried to put my cadence in practice.  I got to to Lightside, my favourite part of the race, the steepest descent and throw down there and made a place back and ran in on the farm track towards the finish, and almost got cramp again.

Website for the race:

https://glossopdaleharriers.wordpress.com/club-races/shelf-moor-fell-race/

Craig finished 4th in 00:48:35, 12 seconds off third. Great race Craig.
I finished 8th 00:50:00 my previous time was 51minutes and 3 seconds and I finished 19th.
Martin finished in 28th 00:56:29
Roger finished in 17th 00:52:18
Mark Platt finished in 47th 01:00:56


Me at the top of ridge on the downhill towards the finish



Mark Platt in the heather 


Martin watching his step




Me in Team Raidlight Kit


Craig, the power of the downhill




No comments:

Post a Comment