Friday 26 December 2014

Kentmere Horseshoe English Champs.

Kentmere Horseshoe 20/07/14



Borrow car. Drive for 3hrs. Forget Club top! Panic. Meet club captain. Buy random top. Warm up. Think to myself why the hell am I here. 

At this point I’d only ran once in June for training as I got injured MTB in Wales. And since then I have had a bad back, which is now starting to get better. Now am just stuck with my bad glute that I’ve had since October 2013…

Meet Will Neill, Gareth Briggs,  Jo and Emma Gould. And its time for the start of the race. I position myself near the back. Confidence is low and there is little racing legs in me apart from the summer series.



Start, with a one leg and another and then repeat. Really slow up the first climb to get my breathing, get it out the way. I was probably near the back of the race. Once I reached the top of the hill I decided I would try to put more pace into it.  One to another to a left and a right, quicker steps now. A look at the front runners. Bemusement fills my eyes. Increase the pace, try not to fall down a slate ridge on one of the climbs. Head for the checkpoint, pass people on the ascent. Feeling better. Hit the descent after checkpoint it should be easier running and more downhill now. Problem, this is my weakest skill.  Lose a few places. Gain on the technical parts and hold my own on the ascent.

Start to face the direction of the finish straight, smile for camera and give a wave from the jelly babies and me. Am now racing with those around me. Try to figure if I know then. Come across a dark peak runner. Banter. We ran the next three miles together before the last checkpoint on the downhill.  I keep my pace for the first time but lose then eventually. Make all five places back one by one on the on the last five miles.

Rain, sad face. Luckly am near the finish.

Happy to of got round with the injury, not so pleased with my time. Though am happy considering my training and lack of running etc.

First Medium English Champ now complete.

Well done to Will for winning the under 23 and the Championship. He finished 7th in 1hr 33
Well done to Gareth Briggs coming in 28th in a time of 1hr 43minutes

Well done to Emma Gould for coming 108th

I finished 115th in 1hr 57minutes and 07seconds.



No comments:

Post a Comment