Monday 29 December 2014

Cop Hill Fell Race

Cop Hill Fell Race 2nd November 2014

Cop Hill Fell race is located in Meltham and organised by Meltham Athletics Club. It's a 7 mile race that consists of two laps.

The first part of the course is made up of one climb to the reservoir, and then another short climb just before the trig and then a descent back near to the start line along a farm track, the course then repeats until you hit the farm track and head back towards the sport complex where the finish is.

I travelled up with Gareth Briggs, who had recommended the course and his partner Joanna Hackett.

For the first time in a while before a race, I felt okay, not that badly injured and not that nervous...Something was a miss I thought.




I had a quick warm up and few stops to the toilet, there we go everything is back to normal!

After good luck wishes and banter with Jo and Gaz we were off. Before the race I had a quick look at the start of the course, something that I have only just started to do, in order to be familiar with the start and finish.

I decided I wanted to go for a quick start as there were a few stiles and also the track was muddy and you could easily turn your ankle. So I went for it.  And to my surprise I was leading the race down to the track and till the second stile. Then I let off and two runners went past with easy on the start of the climb. There was no was I was keeping up with them. I started to climb a little harder and faster. I wanted to make the most of the climb and my strength. This worked well and I think I held my position in 3rd until the reservoir.  I was pleased with the progress I made as it was about 2miles into the course.  Then Gaz went past with another runner, I tried to follow and stick with him. I did until the second climb on the first lap, then his descending got the better of me. I also had another 3 runners around me fighting for sixth/seventh position at the point. I stayed here for while before losing a place on the descent. I really need to improve this area in my running. At the end of the descent and the 1st lap I think I was about 10th. Yep I had lost a lot of places from 1st.  O well, that's how I race. Am hoping that the speed and strength will keep building with every race and I hope to keep improving but we will see. We hit the climb that I did on the first lap, I was exhausted, but knew I had to push on, at least I knew the course now. I did, and I dug deep and pushed on. Over taking a couple of runners on the climb. I tried to push harder to build a gap, I did. I hit the reservoir and saw Gaz fighting for third and fourth.  I had to concentrate as someone was on my back pressing, eventually I lost out on the descent again. I made my time up on the technical part of the descent and overtook one other runner, that was my position until the finish. I had to work hard on the pacing and sprinting to the finish though, as I was in danger of been over taken.

I gave my congratulations to the other runners like I usual do, and found out that Gaz had finished 3rd. A cracking race by him. Well done Gaz.

I thought I had my best race of the season at this race, so I was pleased with my result. Maybe it was the escape from London that made me so determined to run in the countryside and perform so well.

Gaz finish 3rd in 40:54 and I finished 8th in 42:05.

Jo enjoyed her race and just missed out on a prize by a minute and finished in 60:16

I really enjoyed the race and Its one I hope to do again.





No comments:

Post a Comment