Saturday 13 July 2013

Chrome Hill Fell Race



After receiving a strange answer phone message from my friend on the Thursday evening after Wetton’s race. I was asked to help a friend in need. That friend was Lawrence Soleimani. He had asked (made) me to do the Chrome hill Fell Race as he promised his mum he would do it last year at Hollingsclough village festival.  His mum helps organise the festival, as its hosted by her school.

I said I would, it didn’t take much persuading, as I had heard good and bad things about Chrome hill.  This was to be my friends first fell race so I was keen to make sure he kept his promise.

Once myself, Lawrence and Isobel (Lawrence partner) got to the giant shaped paste we realised that we had a bit of challenge a head of us. I was just hoping not to get eaten by the big paste shaped hill.

Race preparations were slightly different for this one, as we took part in tombola, sold raffle tickets and eat lots of jelly tots.

Lawrence Soleimani was nervous about the whole thing, but eventually he signed the dated line… And we got kitted out.  I thought he was a man of honor for sticking for his word. Good for you. I thought.

The whistle went and off we went, This first farm offered lots of pots holes, as I saw Gareth Briggs and Robin Hope shoot of in front of me.  Two very strong Staffordshire Moorlands Runners.  I tried to keep up with the group at the front. Well at least my head was. My legs still ached from Thursday, but I knew I had to keep pushing on the uphill.  The down hills were short and sweet and the uphill’s were torturous to my legs. Lots of concentration was needed just to avoid the cow prints.  And we hadn’t even started the climb to Chrome Hill. I felt empathy towards Loz, but I knew he would be enjoying it and that he would keep going.

Once we reached the start of the climb to Chrome Hill I was exhausted and started to crawl, and I mean crawl up the side of the Hill. Like a trail of ants heading for the top of Candy mountain we pushed as hard as we could. Passing bemused walkers on the hill, we ran down the giant Cornish paste.  I was running against someone who I could shake off, and we were neck and neck all the way down the hill and over the ridges. This was the most enjoyed part of the race and we both wanted the position.  As such we managed to catch some people in front and gain a couple of places.  Once we were at the bottom of the hill, we were on last farm trail home to the finish.  I even saw Simon Bailey watching the race.

I crossed the finish line with a time of 35 minutes in 13th place.  Gareth and Robin finished 4th and 5th, a great result for them. Well Done.

I also meet Isobel again and we decided to wait for Loz so we could cheer him on.
He came in with at time of 53 minutes. Well Done Loz.

I can now say that was one of the hardest fell races I have done. So well done indeed for completing it Loz.



Duck Racing


Me and Loz, Paste Hill in the Background


No comments:

Post a Comment