Saturday 8 June 2013

Summer Series Titlesworth


I have been trying to progress with my running this year, so I have decided to take part in the Summer Series, which is a series of races organised by Staffordshire Moorlands Athletics club. The series consists of about 10 races that are on trails, fells, and road with the staffordshire moorlands area. 

I decided to do the series as I think it will improve my training and my running. With the distance being short it will also help increase my speed. 

I also want to get to know more runner that run in the area, and also improve my training and my knowledge of the sport. 

The first race was at Titlesworth, near Leek. The run was a five mile race around the lake.  The circuit around the lake is flat. I had not ran around the lake before, but I had walk around it a long time ago, when I went for a picnic there. 

This was my first race in such a small distance and I didn't have an expectation about the race, I just wanted to get around in a reasonable time.  

The whistle was about to go, and I noticed a few really good runners lining up, including Jason Burgess and William Neil.  Therefore I knew it was going to be fasted from the off. The whistle went, and so did my legs. I set off with a steady pace and kept that going for a couple of miles. I noticed that I was holding my position and moving well, even though I had tired legs. I kept pushing and even managed to over take a few people. Half way around the race I could feel I was getting more tired, so I continued at my pace until the last mile where i decided to go a little faster in order to catch up with two people in front of me. I did manage to catch them due one of them taking a wrong turn.  I put the effort in to the finishing line and managed to finish 12th. 

I was really pleased with my result for the race, as I didn't expect to do that well.  

The race has given me alot to think about in the future and also bit more confidence in my ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment