Saturday 8 June 2013

Summer Series Shutlingsloe

Race two of the summer series was a fell race. That mean and steep fell in question is Shutlingsloe. The race was 3 miles according to the organisers.

So again, it was going to be a fast race.

I have ran up Shutlingsloe before, as I use it in my training runs with the roaches. The Hill offers amazing views over the Moorlands and Cheshire. I would recommend it to anyone.

I was also going with my brother Anthony.  He had just returned from running Zegama in the sky running series. He was the first Brit back in the race, and 7th best in his class. Good Work Ant. Amazing. I have no idea how you achieve this, but you did. Well Done.  He is also one of the people I hold accountable for my running.

This was the second race, I had done with my bother. The last time I raced him he finished 3hrs ahead of me...

The aim of my race was to just complete the race in the top 30, I never like to have unrealistic expectation for races.

This was also my first race under the team name of Raidlight. A French Running association that I will now be running under. I really like the ethics that they have. It doesn't matter how far you run, where you come or what type of running you do. Everyone is under one banner and pulls together. Please check it out.

As we lined up my brother was in front of me, in the narrow trail lane.

The whistle went, and so the up hill struggle began.  I decided to run as fast as possible up the hill to the fell as I knew I would get some time to catch some air when we reached the top of Shutlingsloe. I followed my brother to top, of the hill. I tried to stay on his heels in hope that I would have enough to over take him on the down hill.   This was a bit of a risky strategy as I may get tired and lose places to other people.

I kept looking over my shoulder in case this happened, but I had some space between me and he next person. As we reached the summit of Shutlingsloe my brother was, I think a little surprised to see me.  As he soon bolted down the hill back to the finish. I do remember someone shouting is that your brother you can catch him. My reply was "I am too *Ducked." My legs went a bit to jelly at the top of the summit and I lost a lot of time on the descent, as I didn't wont to fall. I headed back to the finish, a 1mile and half down hill.

I could not see my brother once we entered the forest. He managed to finish two minutes in front of me. It goes to show how much pace you can pick up on the descents. He was like bull after a red cloth.

He had a great race, and I am please that he pushed me so hard around the course, as I managed to finish in 9th in 29minutes.

Am really pleased with my result as it was such a hard course for such a short distance. The race was actually 3.6miles according to Ant's Garmin.

I reached the finishing line with Joy and congratulated my brother on his race.

I am really enjoying the series as everyone is really nice to talk to, and the atmosphere of the races are a good laugh.  Thanks for all those that are support so far.

The next race is the roaches.


On the Ascent to Shutlingsloe, Photo By Mike Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment