Saturday 15 June 2013

Roaches – Summer Series 2013 June 13th


I had being looking forward to the Roaches race all week, even if I was a little tired after the Potters ‘Alf.

I also decided to do a training run around Ipstones and Foxt on Tuesday evening, which resulted in a five-mile run.

Thursday quickly came around and the time for knee high socks and shorts were acquired for the wet weather we had in the day.  After a bit of a rush from work, I made my way to my playground of the roaches, just below the peak district. 

I was excited about the race, as I knew the area well and I know some of the lines to take over the top of the ridge.

On arrival to the start line, there seemed to be a lot more cars than I had previously seen at other races. Then again this was to be expected.  Am sure am not the only one attracted to the Roaches.  The views that it has to offer on a summers evening are impressive to say the least.  Am sure this was race was setting up for a classic. Though the weather had decided not to join the party, instead it sent winds and the odd bit of rain.

Before the start of the race, I meet Clive, a runner from Endon who is well known for running the Paddy Buckley challenge in Wales and he also helped my brother during his night session. He recognized me, as I look similar to my brother. Must be the beards.  It was nice to meet someone who also said that he uses the Roaches as his “playground”, and who has a passion for the landscape and running. Though I pretty sure most people at the race we say the same. It was good to get some hints and tips for my running from Clive. I do hope to catch you again sometime soon. 

The race got under way and we headed up to the roaches to the main path that leads between Hen Cloud and the Roaches.  I felt tired as soon as the race started and I wasn’t sure If I would make it all the way round. With this in mind, I started a little slower than I normally would.  I think doing the Potters ‘Alf may of taken too much from me.  I continued to battle with my wits and those amongst me.

To my surprised though I did managed to overtake a few people over on the way up to roaches. This was the path between higher and lower tier rocks. I did have a bit of power walk at several stages to try and save my legs. As I reached the start of the ridge I saw Tyler from Congleton at the top stretching his legs. He waited for me and we pushed on together. We ran at an even pace across the top of the ridge. I love running across the top for two main reasons, one being the view and the other for the technique running that is required. To leap and bounce over the sandstone like child creates a sense of joy as if I was biting into my very first birthday cake. Yum.

As we reached Roach End we had a bit of cap between us and those behind, and we had even managed to catch up with some others runners.  It was here that Tyler decided to up his game and he pressed on without me. I tried to keep in touch with him, but he was to good for me.  Though by trying to keep up with him meant that I did over take the runners in front. 

And as I did someone whizzed passed me, he was clearly going for it on the road. I thought I would hope to catch him at the back end of the Roaches.  I did so, and managed to create a bit of gap when going over the muddy paths behind the back of the roaches and Hen Cloud.  I even managed to pull in a bit of space from Tyler.

I stayed in this position until the end of the six mile race.

I think I managed to finish around the 43 minute mark in 12th place. Another good result for Team Raidlight.

I congratulate Tyler for his impressive race and clapped for those that were coming in.

This was an exciting race and I did enjoy racing over the roaches once more. It was nice to find out that some many people enjoy the natural beauty in the peaks, and on my doorstep.

Well done To Gareth Briggs for finishing second in the Race.




No comments:

Post a Comment