Saturday 15 June 2013

Potters 'Alf 9th June



Having been bullied into doing the Potters ‘Alf by my Brother, I was kind of nervous and not looking forward to event, as I don’t really like running on roads. However this was an exception as this was going to be a family affair. My Brother Ant, was doing the race, and even more impressive was the fact that middle brother Steve had be persuaded into doing the race too. Though my twin sister had pulled out. Maybe next time though.


Bethell Bullets

The morning of the race had come, as usual I was a bundle of nervous, and anxious about was about to come.

My preparation involved stretching and eating two boiled eggs, one more than I usually do!

We set off to Hanley, otherwise branded as the City Centre. We arrived about one hour before the start time.  There was a certain buzz in the air and I could already see a lot of runners warming up.  We meet Ant and Steve in Costa Coffee. They had decided to get some needed caffeine. I opted out of this, as coffee gives me the shakes. Not that I wasn’t nervous or shaking anyway. Rattle, Rattle.

Now you may already know a little bit about Anthony my brother or as Forest. He was a little stiff from the Shutlingloes race and from the training that week, but I still expected him to have a good race.  As he always does.  My other brother Steve has only being running for three months and was set for the challenge of the concrete hills.  This is impressive to even consider doing after such a short period. Hats off to him. I had previously had a training session with him. And he looked in good shape, so I was worried about him beating me.  Maybe I will have to trip him up at the start line…

After a few visits to the rest room, we headed out to the start line to have a bit of jog. Before I even left the shopping centre I had lost both brothers, so I went to start to await for them. I never saw Ant until after the race, but I did see Steve just before the start as we both decided to take moment to ease the pressure of liquid in our stomachs before hand. I fact I missed the start by a 30 seconds or so.

And that’s how my race began. I decided that I needed to work my way through the field, so I wormed my self through high spirits and smiley faces. I finally got into my stride just after leaving the City Centre to head up through Fenton. I saw a few familiar faces along the way, including Steve and I wished him luck. I also meet up with a few people that had being doing the summer series, Tyler from Congleton Athletic club.  I ran with him up to the top of Fenton. The weather had decided to continue smiling upon us, like it had being doing all week.  The heat did start to rise within the first few miles and I knew we were in for a warm one.


I kept my pace going and started to progress through the field. As I tried to maintain my pace, my shins and legs felt tired. So I decided to throw lots of water on them.  I felt a little heavy, but I was enjoying the crowds of people that cheered everyone on. In fact the crowds were amazing, well done to the people of Stoke for getting behind the runners. Some had even made additional water stations and even handed out a few oranges and my favorite Jelly Babies. Result

As I went through Longton, I could start to feel the my legs, but I was also determined to keep at my pace, and try to keep an eye on those in front. I did manage to pass a few more people on the up hills, and realised that this was my strong point, where as I found it hard on the flat parts.

After about an hour of running, I start to get a tired and need some more water and additional food, I hadn’t packed any gels or food. I did manage to take an orange from someone in Bucknell, thankyou. Though it did make me feel sick.
This was about 8 miles in.

It was at this point that Tyler can running past me like a steam train, good running from him. I wished him luck and told him to go for it. I found myself interchanging positions with a group of runners from Trentham running club. I managed to keep up with them till Holden lane bridge when two of them broke away. The good thing was that we had been overtaking other runners too.

It got to Heart Break Hill, the classical part of the Potters ‘Alf I had heard so much about. I decided to just go for it, as I had saved a little bit of energy for the hill. My plan did work and I managed to overtake a few more runners, but struggled to catch the two Trentham runners and Tyler.  I did however catch a few more people on the home straight. 

Just before the end I saw my Brother Anthony who gave me extra encouragement to the finishing line by running with me. It pushed me on and I managed to quicken my pace.

On the way to the finishing line, there were rows of people, sometimes four lines deep, applauding the efforts made by some 1500 people on a Sunday Morning.  It was overwhelming to see so many people clapping.  It really did inspire you to keep running. Thanks again for those that came and supported me and the other runners.

I managed to cross the line with a time of 1hr and 28 minutes in 63rd place. I was really pleased to finish under the 90 minute mark.

I later found out that my brother had finished 9th and won his class. Well done Ant Great running from you.

I was that greeted with a muffin and some Water from Cara, thank you.  Though I did almost fetch it back up.

I also saw some close friends on mine come into finish their first half marathon. All under the 1hr and 50 minute mark. Well done to Ben, Gilbert and Angus for achieving this. To complete a hard half marathon on such a sunny day is amazing.

My Brother Steve came in under two hours, an amazing achievement considering how long he has being running for. Well Done Steve. He was pushed from the Heart Broke Hill with my other brother running along side him until the finish. Am really proud of Steve and my friends for complete this challenge it just goes to show what the human body can do when you have the determination and will.


After the Race (Steve, Ant, Me)


Afterwards (Ben, Ant, Angus, Me, and Gilbert)


No comments:

Post a Comment